Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Baby Steps

I've decided that my resolution for 2008 is "baby steps" in all aspects of my life.  I'm not going to set such lofty goals that I am unable to achieve them. I do believe that if I make small steps along the way, I might have a better chance.  Here are a few of the baby steps that I'm thinking about...
  1. I have read a great deal lately about eating locally grown, seasonal food. I've decided to join a CSA (community supported agriculture). There is a local farm that will deliver a box of fresh produce to Intel each week during the growing season that Jim will pick up. In the box will be 40-80 servings of locally grown, fresh, seasonal fruits, vegetables and herbs. I'm hoping that this will spur me to new heights in the kitchen... and be so much healthier for us all. Any leftovers, I hope to freeze and can for use later on. Maybe I will even be able to drop a few pounds this way!
  2. I want to do something each day (or maybe each week is more realistic) to take care of myself. Take a walk. Read a book. Floss. Do my nails. Take a cooking class. Have coffee with friends. Maybe even get a massage (thanks to Marie and Jason who got me a gift certificate for that!)! I'm not very good at taking care of myself sometimes... I strive so hard to take care of my loved ones that I forget to leave much time for me.
Okay... only 2 general things for now.  That is enough.

Off the subject a bit, but for those of you who didn't know, I did do one HUGE thing for myself in 2007: allergy shots! Should have done this YEARS ago. I've gone from taking about 6 meds (maybe more?) for allergies and asthma to ONE. Should be done with that soon too. Huge time and financial commitment but soooo worth it. It is an especially good thing for a horse show mom to be able to breathe around hay, dust and horses ;)

Wanted to let you know that I have my comments set up for "anonymous" posts now... you do not have to sign into blogger for a password and all that anymore.  My only request is that you leave your name :)

2 comments:

Laura Nicholas said...

good luck with your baby steps, P. I know you will succeed! I love the fruit and veggie idea. There is nothing better than fresh.

And mostly - don't forget to take care of yourself! I know I need to learn that lesson too.

Hugs to you and we need to do coffee or crop one of these days!!!!

Laura

Anonymous said...

Hey Paris,
You are such an amazing person. I applaud your "baby steps" approach. Perhaps it will seem OK to take care of yourself if it's only a little bit at a time. I have to admit that we can only care for others with a full tank. I know that your family appreciates you and that's awesome (I know a lot of us "care takers" don't even have that) Can you imagine? Anyway, keep it up. You rock sister! Robanne