Thursday, October 23, 2008

Good day that ended badly... (w/update)

Nat had the day off of school for conferences. We started our day by sleeping in! Doesn't get much better than that. After lazing around this morning, we ran some errands and then headed to the barn. Nat and Memo had a lovely ride outside... gotta love the perfect fall day in the outdoor arena. 

While Nat was riding, I got the BEST phone call!! My dear friend Shannon from Chicago called saying that she was in Seattle! Just hearing her voice lifted me up. She and her husband had to make a quick business trip to Seattle. The cool part is that they are driving to Portland tonight!! We will get to see them tomorrow and Saturday before they fly off to vacation in California.

I have known Shannon since my freshman year of college. We spent hours together in the computer lab. So glad that I had her to suffer through Computers 101 together! I convinced her to rush my sorority and we have been friends ever since. A few years ago when I had to attend a convention in Chicago for work, we made it into a family vacation too. Jim, Nat and I had the best time touring Chicago with Shannon and Alan! Natalie saw fire flies for the first time ever at Shannon's house! She is one of those friends, even though you haven't seen her for years, it is like you saw her yesterday! I can't wait to see her again, and get caught up on her life.

Conferences went great. We were the only ones to sign up for a conference this evening so we had extra time with her home room teacher. He is a great guy and is genuinely concerned about Natalie's well-being at school. It was a very productive meeting.

And now for the bad part... as I was finishing up making a very late dinner, we got the dreaded evening call from the barn. Memo is acting all colicy tonight :( Jim and Nat scarfed down their meal and headed to the barn. Luckily, Nat does not have school tomorrow in case it is a late night. I hope she can come out of it okay without calling the vet. We definitely do NOT need another vet bill right now. Ugh. What a way to ruin a perfectly nice day. I'm on call to take the next shift if it gets too late. Ugh again.

Pretty please be okay, Memo. Pretty please.

Update:
Nat and Jim got home about 10:30. Not too late. They gave Memo some banamine and walked her around. Elise helped them too, and mixed up a really wet mash to feed her. By the time they left, she had been eating and pooping and didn't seem to be in pain. When she colics, she is in obvious pain and will not eat or poop. She also likes to lie down and you cannot hear any "gut sounds". It is really scary! The walking around usually gets things moving. The banamine gives pain relief (I believe). The mash is wet and oily to get things moving. If things don't improve with all of this, we usually have to call the vet. She has had to "tube" Memo a couple of times before... it involves a plastic tube running down her nostril to her digestive system with a water and mineral oil mixture to get her system moving. When that does not work, it can mean surgery. I hope we never have to do that!! We once had to haul her to OSU vet hospital but the trailer ride seemed to help her!! And there you have it, my version of a colic. I'm sure Miss Pony Club Natalie could give you a more accurate description ;)

4 comments:

Jean said...

So glad you are going to see your friend..enjoy the time together.
How is Memo today?? Sending big hugs and hope she/he is okay today.
What happens when a horse is collicky? Is it like a baby?
hugs
jean

Team Immel said...

bummer dude. :( glad it wasn't too late of a night and so glad you get to see your bud shannon and her fam! glad conferences went well. hope you are enjoying your weekend already! miss u!
xoxo
si

Angie said...

man, seems like she colics a lot. Glad to hear it wasn't serious this time around.

My name is Shanna said...

How is Miss Memo now? I hope she is better.

Hugs, Shanna