Friday, July 11, 2008

Don't mess with mama, llama!

Had a pretty funny experience yesterday. My friend Diana and I were llama wranglers ;) Not everyday that you get to do that!! We both decided that it would make for excellent dinner conversation, and were lamenting that we didn't have it all on video to win some serious bucks on "America's Funniest Home Videos".

We drove up to Diana's to ride Toby. Diana was off of Jack, who she had been riding. He spooked and bucked when a neighbor's llama broke through a fence into Diana's pasture next to the arena. Nat took Jack, and also got Toby ready to ride. Diana and I headed to the pasture to deal with the llama.

Diana was in riding clothes. I was in capri sweats and sneakers. At least I didn't have flip flops on! We were both running through the pasture, trying to herd the llama over towards the opening in the fence. Boy was he a stubborn thing! We were so afraid that he would charge and run over us... or maybe spit at us! He was pretty darn aggressive. Finally, we decided to grab one of the horse's lead ropes and get it attached to the llama's halter. No small feat! Diana did it though! She is one tough mama! Not only did it take about 20 minutes to get to this point, it took us another 20 minutes to lead the stupid llama back to the hole in the fence! Diana was pulling on the lead rope... I was smacking it in the legs and butt with a big stick. The llama had so much hair/fur that it didn't feel a thing!! Once we dragged it to the opening, we discovered that we needed to cut down the fence so the llama would not get stuck in the wire. Diana left to get wire cutters and left me with the lead rope and the stick! Yikes! By this time, the llama was pretty stunned and just stood there. I thought for sure he would spit on me!! Diana was able to cut though the fence, and I led the llama back to his home.

My legs got pretty cut up after getting tangled up in some berry vines. Allergies were pretty sucky last night from running through the tall grass. But all in all, it was a pretty funny experience!! Diana and I will be talking about being llama wranglers for years to come :)

Today we are off to meet Shauna for coffee and grab a book for Nat. After that we will head to the barn to take care of Memo... she had a chiro treatment and was really out of whack. Remember that fall out at Inavale? It really messed her up! No wonder she has been in a bad mood!! She was in pain. I feel horrible... once again she was trying to tell us something and we were not smart enough to understand. Will I ever be a good horse owner??? Anyway, we have to do "treat stretches", give her some horsey tylenol stuff (butte), and Nat will have to hand walk her for 30 minutes. Memo will be getting a 5 day vacation... she should be good to go next week... for horse camping. More on that later!!

This evening we are heading to Gig Harbor to see Sam and family. It will be a quick trip, but I can't wait. I really love it up there, and it will be so good to spend time with the Guinn's :)

2 comments:

Team Immel said...

Great meeting the two of you for coffee and books!!! Always a pleasure!

Have a great, safe trip! Give Sam a big huge hug for me!

I wish you would have gotten photos or video of your llama on the loose! sounds hysterical! how often does that happen to someone? lol the adventures of paris the horse owner...

big hugs
xoxo
shauna

Laura Nicholas said...

omg - that is too funny. I can just see you - all you need is a ten gallon hat, boots, chaps, and a lasso and you are set, llama mama!

have a great trip and rest up from your wild adventures.

Laura