Sunday, September 7, 2008

Menu Planning?

Do any of you plan your menus for the week or just wing it? I seem to do a mix of the two.

I'd like to say that I scour the grocery store ads and plan my meals based on what is on sale. Not so much. Occasionally that happens, but that is not the norm.

I seem to have the same stuff that I stock in my freezer and pantry. I usually get my meat at Costco, as well as some other staples once a month. I shop at a grocery store or Trader Joe's at least once a week to get everything else. I count on my CSA box for veggies.

I keep a list of dishes that are part of my regular rotation. That helps to refresh my memory, especially when I get in a cooking rut. Every once in awhile, I just have to try a new recipe (or four!)!!

I thought I would start posting my menus. This week I will list the meals that I made this week. I didn't plan them, they just kind of happened.

Day 1:
Chicken Quesadillas
Rice and beans
Chips and Salsa
fruit

Day 2:
Cheeseburgers on the grill
Potato leek soup
fruit

Day 3:
Meatball Subs
Greek salad
fruit

Day 4:
Meatloaf
Oven fries
Green Beans

Day 5:
Chicken sausage & veggie kabobs
corn on the cob
homemade mac & cheese

Day 6:
BBQ ribs
Green Chili potatoes
sauteed veggies
strawberries

Day 7:
pork loin w/peach jam
rice
veggie/fruit

Let me know if you would like any of my recipes. I'm anxious to try the pork loin tonight... I got some really ripe peaches in my CSA box so made them into jam quickly or I would have lost them. I think the jam will be yummy as a glaze on the pork loin. Will make it on the grill.

Things are good here. Friday night, Natalie and I watched the Stand Up 2 Cancer program. Powerful stuff. Saturday Natalie and Hayley had a group jumping lesson with Janice. So nice to hang w/Robanne (twice in two days!). Last night we watched two episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. LOVE that show.  Today Nat is having a friend from school go along to the barn. They will work Memo, then give her a bath. Dad has barn duty today so I will be doing laundry and cleaning house. Fun... NOT. Nat is working on homework as I type this. Spent a fair amount of time on that yesterday too. The fun begins :)

Have a good week everyone! And thanks so much to all of you who have sent checks and given jobs to Nat. We leave for Nationals two weeks from tomorrow!! Wow!

3 comments:

Laura Nicholas said...

oh yes - please keep posting those menus... My family eats well when I am inspired by my Martha Dukes!!! :)

All of those recipes sound too yummy and the pork loin with peach jam is making me hungry...

Enjoy your day of household chores - I am so with you on the fact that it is NOT fun...

Coffee this week sounds great - friday good for you??? I could get a check to you for Nat and pick up the goodies she has made for me. I have one more for her that I would love if she would remake a bracelet I have so I can actually wear it...

Anyway, let me know if friday works.

Laura

Jean said...

I just wing it every week, and half the time, I order out 3-4 days for dinner. I'm a flunkie when it comes to cooking, I admit it! I have no creativity so everything is so boring to me. I'd love you to post your menu!!! I did plan a few things this week: chicken cutlets, meatloaf and pasta caprese...I know, its only 3 meals...that means if I dont think, we get take out 4!!! See???

I'd love the bbq ribs recipe and the sausage kebobs too! I made the cobbler you posted last week and it was delicious! Even the boys who claim they dont like blueberries, loved it.

Thanks for your ideas! I Sure wish I lived closer so I could learn to cook from you!

Team Immel said...

um...i wish i could just take my family to your house every night for dinner! i don't know how you stay so organized and inspired to cook. i'm most tired at dinner time, and we're never home at dinner time. dinner time for us is usually 9pm and it's after i've been driving around from 3pm until then! i did make spaghetti in the crock pot the other night but it took me three days to prepare. baby steps! (i get worn out so quick these days!) and i also made stir fry. my mom cooked a couple of the other nights and we had take out a few too. i usually grab sushi for my kids or premade salads in a pinch. i suck. :)

i'm free friday for coffee or bagels or whatever!

xoxo
shauna